Life's a journey... here and living it!

Life's a journey...   here and living it!

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I had a great weekend!

We went to Harrisburg, PA for the weekend. It was so nice to just relax. We had nothing for sure planned...just kinda went with it. Along the way just off the highway I noticed this old church, so I made Charles take a side trip. When I got there I noticed the very muddy pond. I thought, great this ugly pond will be in my photo. It was perfect, you'll see the entire reflection of the building in the pond! Yay, for muddy water! I played around with my filters in Photoshop and got this result...




I really like the star, so I bought me one to put on our house, in a little Amish store. I also got a great smelling candle. Charles enjoyed looking at the workmanship of the Amish furniture. I had to remind him that he is doing his Masters and has NO time to build furniture right now! Beside, our garage is still full of boxes.

We adventured on to Intercourse, Fertility, and Paradise PA as well...Amish towns too...(((too funny!!!)))
I wanted to take some pictures of the Amish way of life without being intrusive to them...afterall I was on vacation relaxing, I sure did not want to make someone else feel uncomfortable! I got a picture of the cutest little amish boy!









I shot this picture as they drove past. You can really get a feel of the buggy moving in the second shot.
We drove down some side roads in search of covered bridges. I was able to get pictures of a couple of different ones. This first bridge is now closed and there is a campground located beside. The second one I got lucky and a buggy was coming as I took the pictures.












On to our next adventure, we drove down to the military post "Ft. Richie" that DH was stationed at, which is now closed. It was so neat to see our old house. It's almost like a ghost town there now. Here's our old house on post and what we live in now. They're just a little different, don't you think? Oh, and I promise our yard looks much better now than when I took this picture of our new house. This is the photo I took when we were shopping for a house. We use True Green now, so it's very green!









After visiting Ft. Richie, we drove down this little side road to an old creek bed that is loaded with big bolders, called the Devil's something...any way the last time I was there we skipped church to go there and see it and I tored my tendon in my leg, Charles had to carry me off all the rocks and through the path back to the van and had to wear a cast. I think the Lord was trying to tell me something that day! I was very careful and did not walk across all the rocks this time! And we went on a Saturday, just to be on the safe side! As you can see in the picture, it's full of rocks bigger than Charles! When you stand close to the rocks you can here the water running under the rocks. There's suppose to be copperhead snakes in the area, so we did not stick around long or go off the path.







They still had this little pizza place right off post that we went to, so we stopped and pizza there. It seemed much better back then...probably because eating out was very little back then. It's a little mom and pop place and the little school girl that waited on us was very sweet. Charles left her a really good tip.
We had a great time, very relaxing. I hope the next time to meet up with old friends. they were out of town on this trip. Until the next trip!







3 comments:

{Susan...Seriously.} said...

great photos denise, loooove the church ones and the little boy is a cutie...

Jens Place said...

Awesome photos, I grew up with the Amish, seriously! lol. They were our neighbors. My dad was their driver and they babysat me all the time. Our closest Amish friends had 18 kids. They aren't allowed to watch tv, but one night they brought all the kids over and let them watch Little House in the Prairie with us. I will never forget it. They are the hardest working people I have ever been around. I need my hubby to take me on a trip now . Jen

Anonymous said...

Good post.


I day dream of Cancun!